What features and functionality would you like us to build next?

Monthly Flex Plans for SPOT GEN3

Important enough to generate another comment. I love your product, and even though I was on hold for 40 minute until customer service picked up they were extremely pleasant (talked to billing rep as well), but the annual cost for me is excruciating painful given I only hike a couple times a year if I am lucky. Please give us the same option you have provided to GEN X. Thank you!

39 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone else here. Gen 3 ....and ALL the units....need to have a monthly plan. It is nearly not worth it to have purchased the SPOT at all when having to incur these charges every month while the unit sits in a closet until next year's hunt. Very frustrating and I dont understand why so many people are begging for this month-to-month service and STILL it has not been implemented.

• Brian Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like an option where I can pay only for the service I need. I'm not paying for $200 a year when I might hike a total of 10 days out of the year. Even a 20 or 30 buck rate for one month would be fine. The opening screen of your website offers a new device with no contract, so this comes off as gouging or tone deaf. Received the Spot Gen3 as a gift, I think the idea is great, but had no idea that the cost would be so high. I was going to activate it for a weekend hike, but I'm afraid you made the cost of being safety conscious too high.

No normal person needs SPOT service year-round. The majority need it for specific months on shorter terms trips. I'd pay $10 more than the current $15-20 a month for a monthly service rather than pay the whole sum for year round service that I don't need.

Agreed. It is outrageous to force users to buy continuous year-round service when they don't need it.

The annual plan sucks.... I would have recommended your product if you did not have this but now I will warn people to not purchase this product.

Totally agree. I have cancelled my annual fee. Spot sitting cupboard unused even when we go bush. Need a flexible monthly plan.

I agree with this comment. Paying for an entire year is insane when the unit is only used for 1-2 weeks during the year. It is not right.

• hsmom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Paying 200.00 a year for a service that I use maybe 3-4 times is ******* the wallet.

• Gillian Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is unreasonable to require customers to subscribe for 12 months. I not use this service again because there is not a year of my life where I will need this for 12 months straight. For the majority of people it is useful for wilderness trips that rarely extend beyond a few weeks.

I'm not sure why there isn't a monthly plan for ALL of the SPOT devices. Most of us will only use the service for 1+ months a year, and to pay each month just for that one few weeks is insane.

When I first bought my Spot Gen 3, there was an option for a cheaper plan. It had less tracking interval options, but that was OK. Now you only offer the $200/year plan which is way too much for a device I rarely use. Maybe you could offer a monthly flex plan option like the Spot X? I will be cancelling my service at the end of this annual contract unless a cheaper plan option becomes available.

Feedback and Knowledge Base