What features and functionality would you like us to see next?

Monthly Flex Plans for non SPOT X devices

Important enough to generate another comment. I love your product, and even though I was on hold for 40 minute until customer service picked up they were extremely pleasant (talked to billing rep as well), but the annual cost for me is excruciating painful given I only hike a couple times a year if I am lucky. Please give us the same option you have provided to GEN X. Thank you!

408 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

85 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I felt like I have been screwed up. Honestly, I will never recommend this thing again. Even if it works well, how the **** can you promote a monthly flex plan, and when you get the Gen 3, you can have either a one year contract, or a 12 months contract. Are you serious ?

• pbsmpalmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just costs too much for one or two remote bike rides a year, maybe if you could activate for a shorter period and get good use of the time your paying for it would be worth while. Paying for a year and getting 5-6 days usage isnt working for me, sorry

Spot Gen3 is an excellent product, but my need to use it is intermittent and only for short periods at a tim. So an annual subscription is just too expensive for me to keep up.

If you offered a service where I paid a monthly fee for only those months in the year when I needed to use the Gen3, this would allow me to continue using your services.

Otherwise, when my current subscription expires, I will not be renewing it.

• chadair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a longtime SPOT customer, even outfitting my workplace with five Spot Get 1s many years ago for safety. The cost of maintaining SPOT legacy devices is now higher than the newer SPOT X and other options in the market. I felt that this choice by SPOT to first raise those subscription rates four year ago, and then keep them high out of sync with the market was a greedy move. When I spoke to customer service about finally ending my subscription, I was offered a $65 discount. Why not give the $65 discount to all SPOT users of legacy devices right now? If you had done that, I would have remain a SPOT customer, but your current tact seems like a way to milk a bit more money from your longstanding customers at the risk their defection to Garmin and other options. I appreciate the past service, but I'm done supporting a company that treats their customers like this.

• grntree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Introduce billing to pay-per-use.
    I can't afford the cost & exchange rate.
    I do NOT like SPOTs billing process ... you do not email billing.
    I would like to CANCEL my SPOT service. I do NOT want to renew for 2019. I don't see a cancellation process either.
    For my hunter & back-country friends, SPOT is ideal for them.

• mike.vanalphen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just signed up to a 1 year activation of SPOT GEN3 service and don't agree with your companies forced credit card renewal payment policy and requirement upon signup. I agree with potential safety benefits of ongoing service however this should be combined with transparency about communication regarding pending renewals and a clear process where users can cancel a service and get pro-rata refund of monitoring fees based on a pre-defined formula.

Your website is misleading. It says you can do a monthly plan for the gen 3 but actually you can’t. Never would’ve bought one had I know you can’t do a monthly payment plan

• stephanietwest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Gen3 and travel one month a year. Paying $200 for that month is ridiculous. You are losing my business.

• jdelamar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your devices don't function in the environment I use them. They're good for about 4-6 weeks then they die. Been buying these **** things for several years now because nothing else really offers the features we need. So until something better comes along I'll keep throwing them away and replacing them. Sending them back is too much hassle. I need to send 5 or 6 back at the same time and I'm incredibly busy. don't have time for this or long phone conversations with costumer service. Also, my organization only needs the SPOT service in the summer. June, July, and August. We literally never use them any other time of the year. It is really irritating that we have to be on a yearly contract. I complain about this every year. You can do what you want for now because there doesn't seem to be any competition yet. Good for you for getting our money while we use the service for 3/4 the time we pay for. I'm dropping SPOT so quick soon as something else comes along though.

Please give us a Flexi plan option for the Gen3, the yearly subscription is too expensive when you only use the spot twice a year!!!!

• mschalla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Spot Gen 2 that I have had a contract with for several years. I have not subscribed for about 2 years.

My daughter is going to India for a month and I wanted to sign up for a one month service which, on your website it implies I can do.

There are two radio button selections for subscription. one says monthly but you have to sign up for a year and one says one year sign up. I called in to have that clarified and the monthly contract is not actually a monthly contract, you have to pay for 12 months. THIS MAKES NO SENSE the two selections are identical but misleading.

I was hoping to give my daughter some protection for the month she is out but feel you have failed me as a long standing customer. I DO NOT NEED THE DEVICE FOR A YEAR this time around.

VERY DISSAPOINTED

Please let me know ASAP if something can be done about this.

your website advertises monthly services and does not distinguish which device that applies to.

• mschalla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Spot Gen 2 that I have had a contract with for several years. I have not subscribed for about 2 years.

My daughter is going to India for a month and I wanted to sign up for a one month service which, on your website it implies I can do.

There are two radio button selections for subscription. one says monthly but you have to sign up for a year and one says one year sign up. I called in to have that clarified and the monthly contract is not actually a monthly contract, you have to pay for 12 months. THIS MAKES NO SENSE the two selections are identical but misleading.

I was hoping to give my daughter some protection for the month she is out but feel you have failed me as a long standing customer. I DO NOT NEED THE DEVICE FOR A YEAR this time around.

VERY DISSAPOINTED

Please let me know ASAP if something can be done about this.

our website advertises monthly services and does not distinguish which device that applies to.

• Stacey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love to purchase the Gen 3, but honestly, without a Flex plan it does not make sense. A lot of users will be using this device seasonally for short trips and do not want to be forced into an annual subscription. To be honest, I personally will be looking into other products like Garmin's InReach or BivyStick specifically for the short-term options for all of their products. It really is unfortunate, I have used SPOT devices periodically in the past and I was always pleased with how they performed; but I cannot justify an annual subscription when I would only be using it seasonally. Even if I chose to purchase a SPOT X for the flex plan, what would happen when the SPOT X became a legacy product? Would the flex plans no longer be an option as it is now with other legacy products and the Gen 3? I really hope that Flex plans are something that will be reconsidered for all SPOT products.

• joablen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I got my gen3 (early 2017) I paid for just 3 months of usage, which was a perfect for the trip I was taking at the time. Now I wanted to activate it again for just 1 month but I found that I could either pay for a whole year or sign up for an annual contract which just doesn't work for me as I only use it occasionally.
    I'm just not gonna use it anymore if there are no flexible plans, annual commitment is just too much

My response to global star's answer of my question about making stop the service more easy after one year of payment.

Dear customer service people,

Thank you for your quick response, but you are not completely answering my questions. Cancellation of your services seems to be the biggest problem according to the reviews, because one has to call an international phone number which not always seems to be answered satisfactory. An email or a cancellation form in the protected customers account area is legally a good way to end contracts like this. Why not use that? It is more sympathetic. Your firm gives me the impression that automatically renewed prolongation of 'unused' services is your main earning model, rather than providing people with a service they need at that moment. I found out that the biggest part of your customers are using the GPS-tracking just for a relative short period. Can I subscribe to the service and a few days after that terminate the service to ensure it will not be prolonged after a year? It is something earlier than the prescribed 30 days but legally right I think.

Kind regards, Camille

• Mr Kevin Cunniffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said as an occasional user it is getting expensive. I will probably look at an Inreach when my subscription period is up unless monthly contracts are available.

• Rambette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree!!
    I also only use my device a couple of times a year. This years' service bill was a shock!..Up almost $100 from 4-years ago. I'm already considering cancelling it next year unless some sort of flexible plan becomes available.

Amazing- hundreds of people asking for monthly plans, all falling on deaf ears. A **** of a way to run a business.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base