What features and functionality would you like us to see next?

Pourquoi offrir des forfaits mensuels pour le SPOT X seulement. Il serait intéressant d'avoir aussi un tel forfait mensuel pour le SP

Add a monthly service for the SPOT GEN3.
offrir un forfait mensuel pour le spot Gen3 au lieu du forfait annuel existant obligatoire. Pourtant c'est deja le cas pour le SPOT X.

368 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

jacques shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My response to global star's answer of my question about making stop the service more easy after one year of payment.

Dear customer service people,

Thank you for your quick response, but you are not completely answering my questions. Cancellation of your services seems to be the biggest problem according to the reviews, because one has to call an international phone number which not always seems to be answered satisfactory. An email or a cancellation form in the protected customers account area is legally a good way to end contracts like this. Why not use that? It is more sympathetic. Your firm gives me the impression that automatically renewed prolongation of 'unused' services is your main earning model, rather than providing people with a service they need at that moment. I found out that the biggest part of your customers are using the GPS-tracking just for a relative short period. Can I subscribe to the service and a few days after that terminate the service to ensure it will not be prolonged after a year? It is something earlier than the prescribed 30 days but legally right I think.

Kind regards, Camille

• Mr Kevin Cunniffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said as an occasional user it is getting expensive. I will probably look at an Inreach when my subscription period is up unless monthly contracts are available.

• Rambette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree!!
        I also only use my device a couple of times a year. This years' service bill was a shock!..Up almost $100 from 4-years ago. I'm already considering cancelling it next year unless some sort of flexible plan becomes available.

Amazing- hundreds of people asking for monthly plans, all falling on deaf ears. A **** of a way to run a business.

• david commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, In fact, I have let my service expire and have sold my current Gen3 on ebay. I would return if the monthly cost was more reasonable, or their was a month to month option.

• david commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have now let my Gen3 plan expire, and sold the hardware on Ebay because of the current high cost of the plan, and no Month to Month option. Unfortunately, I do not adventure off grid every single month, only a few times a year and can't justify the current cost. If your prices or policies were more reasonable, I would return as a customer.

Totally agree. I have a spot Gen1, and have had since 2009. Back then the annual cost was $128 .Now it's $231! In those 10 years the GPS accuracy hasn't improved (of course), but the cost has blown out. At least a loyalty discount, but no.
        I hike in seasons, so monthly usage is most appropriate for me too.
        I notice that SPOT doesn't even manufacture any of the location devices anymore, only the phone and GenX.
        The Spot messengers should always have had the ability to see your own GPS location, not just send it to someone else, but now there are 2 way messengers with GPS built in (Garmin inReach). The purchase price is high, but being able to pay monthly is a big benefit.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got one for Christmas, wife bought it off ebay for me. Now after reading how much the subscription is i now know why the other guy sold it. I will only be using it 2-4 weeks out of the year and if they don't have a month to month plan then it's going back on ebay. Not spending $200+ a year to use it for a few weeks.

When I first bought the Spot G3, the annual plan was a lot cheaper -- and the USD:AUD exchange rate was much more favourable. Now, it's costing me almost $40 a month -- and I don't use it enough to make that worthwhile, so am cancelling my plan now. Hoping a flex deal comes along, or else I'll look into alternatives -- I don't need all the features of the expensive Spot X, just the basic Spot things.

• oystein.dugstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Garmin's Inreach service have payment plan that can be started and stopped monthly (within 30 days). If Spot Gen3 don't offer that plan, I will most probably change to Inreach when my one year contract expires. The cost for Inreach is similar as for Spot even though it has two way communication

I agree with everyone else here. Gen 3 ....and ALL the units....need to have a monthly plan. It is nearly not worth it to have purchased the SPOT at all when having to incur these charges every month while the unit sits in a closet until next year's hunt. Very frustrating and I dont understand why so many people are begging for this month-to-month service and STILL it has not been implemented.

• Brian Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like an option where I can pay only for the service I need. I'm not paying for $200 a year when I might hike a total of 10 days out of the year. Even a 20 or 30 buck rate for one month would be fine. The opening screen of your website offers a new device with no contract, so this comes off as gouging or tone deaf. Received the Spot Gen3 as a gift, I think the idea is great, but had no idea that the cost would be so high. I was going to activate it for a weekend hike, but I'm afraid you made the cost of being safety conscious too high.

No normal person needs SPOT service year-round. The majority need it for specific months on shorter terms trips. I'd pay $10 more than the current $15-20 a month for a monthly service rather than pay the whole sum for year round service that I don't need.

Agreed. It is outrageous to force users to buy continuous year-round service when they don't need it.

The annual plan sucks.... I would have recommended your product if you did not have this but now I will warn people to not purchase this product.

Totally agree. I have cancelled my annual fee. Spot sitting cupboard unused even when we go bush. Need a flexible monthly plan.

I agree with this comment. Paying for an entire year is insane when the unit is only used for 1-2 weeks during the year. It is not right.

• hsmom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Paying 200.00 a year for a service that I use maybe 3-4 times is ******* the wallet.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cost of yearly subscriptions are too expensive. We have "find friends" on the phones. If we go bush where there is no cell phone coverage we may reconsider.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base